For people who want to learn or teach mathematics on the basis of reason …
The MATERIALS you will need for Schremmer's section of MATH 161, namely:
can all be freely downloaded from this page.
- The text, Reasonable Algebraic Functions, of which you will need to get a PRINTED COPY.
- The REALITY CHECK for each chapter, of which you will need to get a PRINTED COPY to do before class.
- The CLASSWORK for each chapter---which I will hand out as needed.
- The REVIEW Questions and the REVIEW Discussions for each one of the EXAMS---which are for your information.
- The EXAMS given once upon a time and my solutions for these exams---which are for your information.
- The 161 User Manual to help you get the most out of this course and the 161 Calendar for when to study a Chapter and submit the Homework, for the dates of the REVIEW TESTS and the EXAMS and for the date of the MAKEUPS.
Additional materials for your information.
Announcements for MATH 161 are to be found on that page
This is about "How things will go and WHY":
161 Welcome This is the Welcome handout in case you missed it.
161 User Manual
161 Syllabus Nothing much different from the User Manual but here it is in the format mandated by CCP.
These are couple of things that are relevant to the above:
What previous students have said of Schremmer
Twilight of the Lecture abridged by Schremmer and and the original version.
You can PRINT the TEXT yourself by downloading the files below.
Here is ALL, which is the whole book (not really) for you to see the references across chapters.
You can download the CHAPTERS individually:
You will need to BRING A PRINTED COPY IN CLASS.
Part I. - TOOLBOX
Part II. GAUGE FUNCTIONS - MONOMIAL FUNCTIONS
EXAM 1 covers both Part I. - TOOLBOX and Part II. - MONOMIAL FUNCTIONS.
Part III. - PLAIN POLYNOMIAL FUNCTIONS
EXAM 2 covers Part III. - POLYNOMIAL FUNCTIONS.
Part IV. - RATIONAL FUNCTIONS
EXAM 3 covers Part IV. - RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Here are the "HOMEWORKS". You will need to download, print and work on the corresponding HOMEWORK as you study the CHAPTER at home, before class:
And here are HOMEWORK Discussions (inasmuch as I did my homework.)
Here is QUIZ 12
❖ Quiz 12 - Quadratic Functions - Global Analysis
and here is the DISCUSSION for Quiz 12
❖ Quiz 12 Discussion - Quadratic Functions - Global Analysis
Here are the CLASSWORK handouts.
And here are CLASSWORK Discussions (inasmuch as I did my homework.)
❖ Classwork 9 Discussion - Affine Functions - Local Analysis
Here are the REVIEW materials for each one of the three EXAMS:
To show you how close the EXAMS are to the Reviews, here are past exams :
And here are:
Below are the Additional Materials:
Here are the results for Fall 2014, Spring 2015
The previous edition of Reasonable Algebraic Functions, the so-called TERSE edition, is here. I think that the current one is a vast improvement and the only confusing difference is that the materials in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 have been re-arranged. Other than that the contents of the chapters have remained the same.
Finally, you might also be interested in RBA Lean Edition which is the rewriting in progress of Reasonable Basic Algebra, a presentation of ALGEBRA consistent with RAF. I will update the link whenever I upload new chapters.